Hello, Bonjour, Hola, Sawubona, Dumela
What a powerful quote by Tata Madiba. This is also why we do what we do – To ensure that others can experience awesome stories/products/websites/marketing material in their own language. So, why exactly should you speak to your target market in their language?
- Firstly, the world is becoming “smaller” with the advance of technology and communication. Therefore, the marketplace is a global one. Research from the UN shows that 40% of the world’s population forms part of the global marketplace and they speak a variety of languages. However, 55% of the content available is in English! Therefore, there is a need for content in people’s own language.
- Research also shows that consumers are more likely to buy from businesses where the content is available in their own language. José Jóvena on Aranchodoc.com shared the following statistics:
- According to Can’t Read, Won’t Buy by Common Sense Advisory, “72% of consumers spend most of their time online (if not all) on websites in their own language. The same percentage also acknowledged being more likely to buy a product if the information is available in their own language.”
- Additionally, User language preferences online by the European Commission states that “90% of Europeans always visit a website in their own language when given a choice. And 42% of them said they never buy products or services if the information is not available in their mother tongue.”
In his article, José also mentions 10 reasons why you should translate your website/content:
If your company sells abroad
If you want to keep growing
- If your competitors (don’t) have a multilingual website
- If you want to strengthen your brand
- If you have no choice but to translate
- If you are an e-commerce shipping worldwide
- If your product or service has crossed boundaries
- If your site’s data suggests translating makes sense
- If you want to improve conversion rates
- If you want to improve user experience and SEO on a global scale
These are all very good reasons, and in future, we will consider more reasons why it’s important to translate your content into your target market’s language.
Have a good one!